Chester Square Area Neighborhood Assoc.
Draft Minutes for November 6, 2014
- The meeting was called to order by the President at 7:02 p.m.
- Minutes from the October meeting were approved with one abstention
- The Treasurer’s report, noting a current balance of $4,323.34, was approved with one abstention. There was some dialogue regarding whether line items in the report should be with or without identifying names. No motions were made.
- Several hundred bulbs (daffodils, crocus, tulips) are on hand for planting in public areas this Saturday, November 8th. One crew will begin at 10a.m. and a second crew at 2 p.m.
- A draft letter to the Zoning Board of Appeals regarding the development of the Alexandra Hotel by the Scientology Church was presented for comment. A broad discussion elicited several suggestions for amplification of the letter. A motion was offered to require the ad hoc subcommittee, chaired by Bud Larievy, to produce a report detailing the negative impact regarding safety hazards and lack of maintenance that the building has had on the community; this motion was carried with one vote in opposition and one abstention. After the vote, the subcommittee represented that they would make the report available to the Association for consideration at the December meeting prior to distribution to city offices, other neighborhood associations and the media.
- A brief discussion regarding the park clean up on Saturday November 23rd including Victory House volunteering to rake the leaves in the park the week before. Rudy Mitchell will oversee Northampton Street cleanup. It was agreed that refreshments will be made available. A motion was offered to allot $150 for creating reusable posters for advertising the clean up; the motion carried without opposition.
- A review of the coming election of officers was held. Sara Mitchell and Lloyd Fillion indicated their intention to step down as President and Secretary respectively. Stephanie Avanessian and Mark Carrig indicated willingness to continue in their present capacities as Treasurer and as representative to the South End Forum respectively. Carol Blair and Bud Larievy indicated willingness to be part of the 2015 Executive Board. A full slate will be proposed at the December meeting and the vote for that slate and/or for floor nominations will occur in January, 2015.
- A discussion regarding seasonal lighting of the fountains and a possible community attendance at one of the several seasonal concerts was held, with their being no opposition to either noted. Further research on the lights by Mark Carrig and on a possible event by Stephanie Avanessian will be brought to the December meeting
- The next Association meeting will be on December 3rd.